Aural rehabilitation is a form of therapy where people with hearing problems are taught ways to improve their hearing and communication. Sessions can be individual, groups, or both.
Topics commonly covered include:
- Understanding your hearing loss
- Helping your family understand your hearing loss so you will be able to communicate with each other more effectively
- Understanding how to better use your hearing aid
- Strategies to improve your listening and communication
- Learning how assistive listening devices can help improve your hearing in various environments
- Using visual cues such as reading lips, facial expressions, gestures, and body language.
- Arranging your home to facilitate easier conversation
- Handling background noise when you’re outside
- Knowing your legal rights
- Finding support groups